Detecting a non-existent domain

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Wed Sep 24 00:16:04 UTC 2003

At 3:15 PM -0700 9/23/03, David Schwartz wrote:
>	How would you do this before? Does an A record for a hostname
>mean that a
>host with that name exists? If so, then all *.com 'hosts' now 'exist'. If
>not, what did you mean by exist before?

Okay, let's be very specific.  I need to know if a given name has
either A or MX records which are *not* the same as those provided by
the a wildcard in the appropriate TLD.

The answer so far seems to be to query *.TLD, nab all the records,
and then compare them all the results you get back from querying the
domain.  If there is anything that doesn't match, you are in the
clear.  (Modulo internal networks and localhost and all those fun
tricks of course--but that's a different problem.)

The fact that this is a single IP comparison with Verisign today
presumably does not preclude the wonders of MX records, CNAME's,
multiple A records and all of that in the future.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.