Verisign Responds

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Tue Sep 23 19:36:16 UTC 2003

At 11:47 AM -0700 9/23/03, bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
>	lets try this again... why should a valid DNS protocol element
>	be made illegal in some parts of the tree and not others?
>	if its bad one place, why is it ok other places?

There's a simple answer and a not so simple.  The simple answer is
because in one part of the tree it was expected by all players up
front, and in the other it wasn't.  However in general I tend to
agree.  The things that Verisign broke (and which have cost my
company several thousand dollars in lost time and unplanned
programming tasks, never mind the increase in spam) are also broken
by other TLDs that use wildcards.  The issues weren't clear because
the impact was small.  Now that they are clear, those decisions
should also be revisited.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense