Providers removing blocks on port 135?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Sep 23 16:02:29 UTC 2003

At 01:55 PM 21/09/2003, Justin Shore wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> > Yes, this is all too familiar.  Luckily it was not so acute for us.  The
> > porn company in question was using legit credit cards and we knew where
> > they were located.  We too got to the point where I had to contemplate
> > blocking dialups with no ANI as I had already blocked all access from
> their
> > phone numbers.  However, once they started doing that I called up their
> > office yelling and screaming law suits and I guess they figured there were
> > other ISPs that didnt care as much and moved on to them.
>
>I don't know if you did this but if it were me I'd have contacted two
>other places.  The first would have been the credit card companies with
>the stolen credit cards.

The credit cards in our case were legit. They were different numbers, but
they were not stolen.

>   They are usuaully fairly responsive when it
>comes to them loosing money.  Secondly after I contacted the local police,
>state BI, and perhaps the FBI (assuming no luck could be had with any of
>them)

I am in Canada, but I know that it has been stated that the FBI will not
investigate computer fraud if damage is under $100,000.

>I would have given the story to the local media.  There's nothing
>like a little bad PR to give law enforcement a little kick in the butt.

I doubt a porn company with international clientele would give a toss about
what the local media say.

>If your newspapers where you're at are anything like our's, they love to
>print a good scandal involving the local government.

Local government has nothing to do with it.  It was just some dime a dozen
porn company.

         ---Mike