anycast (Re: .ORG problems this evening)

just me matt at snark.net
Mon Sep 22 23:04:18 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, David G. Andersen wrote:

  With load balancing, traffic can get routed down a non-functional
  path while routing takes place over the other one - BBN did that
  to us once, was very entertaining).

Ah yes, I'll always have a special place in my heart for those
Localdirectors. *cough*

  In contrast, talking to a few DNS servers gives you an end-to-end
  test of how well the service is working.  You still depend on the
  answers being correct, but you can intuit a lot from whether
  or not you actually get answers, instead of sitting around twiddling
  your thumbs thinking, "gee, I sure wish that routing update would
  get sent out so I could use the 'net."

Anycast isn't the only thing possibly stuck waiting for routing
convergence... Let's not get carried away here.

matto

   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>