Verisign's Threat to Infrastructure Stability

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Mon Sep 22 11:14:16 UTC 2003

* Curt at Syllables.com (Curt Akin) [Mon 22 Sep 2003, 01:04 CEST]:
> FWIW:
>
> To: The Department of Homeland Security
> Sent (via dhs.gov site form)
> Dated: 21 Sep 2003 14:24:37 -0000
[..]

> DHS would be well advised to consider the potential threat that
> Internet unpredictability has on this country's cyber infrastructure
> and to seriously consider the relocation of root server responsibility
> to non-profit-motive-driven organizations.
>
> We are all too busy maintaining stable environments to have to
> consider reactions and countermeasures to Verisign's autonomous and
> arrogant behavior.

Root server operators aren't the droids you're looking for.  The net and
com TLDs are just that - TLDs, not the root zone; they're in the root
zone because they're TLDs but authority has been delegated away from the
root server operators.

Root server operators take their hints from IANA, already a non-profit.
See <URL:http://www.root-servers.org/> for a list of current root
servers and their operators.  Note that very few are corporations, so
your call for action from the DHS is rather misplaced in this respect.

Just to clarify (again).

	-- Niels.

--
"The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that
 is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame