Windows updates and dial up users

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 10:45:13 UTC 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:25:50 EDT, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com>  said:
>
> > "I recently put this suggestion to Microsoft and their response basically
> > avoided the whole issue. Why wouldn't the company want to offer such a CD,
> > assuming that's the motivation behind their stonewalling?"
>
> It would cost money to produce and ship a new CD on a frequent enough basis
> for it to do any good.  Consider that we're seeing worms within 4 weeks of the
> patch coming out.  How many CD duplicating places are willing to take on
> a multi-million run with a 1-2 week turn-around, once a month, every month?

Ok then different idea, assuming that we're all agreed its MS's responsibility
to ensure users are patched promptly and without extra cost to the end user.

Its not a problem patching on a dialup, it just takes longer, this may put
people off when they see their computer tell them its going to take 3 hours to
download and theyre paying per minute on the call

What if MS included something in the Windows Update that gave the user the
option of calling a toll-free number operated by MS for the purpose of
downloading.. ?

Steve