Windows updates and dial up users

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Sep 21 22:25:50 UTC 2003

Larry Seltzer has a nice column about the difficulties of keeping up with
Windows patches if you have a dialup connection.

"It occurred to me that one way to make things easier for dial-up users,
and even broadband users in many cases, would be to issue periodic update
CDs. Imagine a disc with all of the updates on it and a program, it could
even be written in Windows Script Host, to check a system for which
updates need to be installed, apply them in the correct order and even
reboot in between. Such a program would not be hard to write."

[...]

"I recently put this suggestion to Microsoft and their response basically
avoided the whole issue. Why wouldn't the company want to offer such a CD,
assuming that's the motivation behind their stonewalling?"