Verisign vs ICANN

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Sat Sep 20 21:03:04 UTC 2003

At 8:37 PM +0100 9/20/03, Simon Lockhart wrote:
>Okay, to Internet "Experts", things are broken - their domain checking scripts
>no longer return "domain available" (why not just check whois.internic.net?).

To quote Verisign, although this is true of all other whois providers:
>TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
>database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
>automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
>modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry

Never mind that there isn't a standard format for the returned
information between providers.

The whois database is not a replacement for a DNS query.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.