Providers removing blocks on port 135?

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Fri Sep 19 23:06:41 UTC 2003

> > Why do you get to decide that, I can't, from a hotel room, call my ISP and
> > put up a web server on my dialup connection so someone behind a firewall
> > can retrieve a document I desperately need to get to them?  Why
> > _SHOULDN'T_
> > I run a web server to do this over a dialup connection?  Why do you get

	when scp or ftp over an ssh tunnel are much easier/lighter weight?

	or you could hand out ASNs and run third-party BGP from your
	hotel room back to the trusted core...  there are lots of ways
	to get your critical content to the right party, some are more
	cost effective than others.

	The name "Rube Goldburg" comes to mind here...

> The distinction may be blurrier these days, but there *is* a difference
> between networking and internetworking.

	true enough.

--bill