ICANN - Formal Complaint re Verisign

George William Herbert gherbert at retro.com
Thu Sep 18 21:22:57 UTC 2003

Michael Dillon wrote:
>Complaining on this mailing list achieves very little but [...]

It did one useful thing; it gave a wide number of operators across
the ISP and infrastructure industries a chance to see what was
happening and put in their two cents.  My initial impression was
that the wildcard was amazingly bad for a number of reasons,
but based on my own impression alone I am unlikely to launch
complaints to a wide range of regulators and congresspeople.

It is now quite clear that nobody in the industry has seen fit
to respond to the Verisign actions as anything defensible at the
technical or policy levels.

So my opinion goes from being my two cents to a consensus;
and I will act in those external arenas based on what I see
as a sufficiently wide consensus...

-george william herbert
gherbert at retro.com