News of ISC Developing BIND Patch

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Thu Sep 18 19:30:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:10:57 -0400 (EDT)
bdragon at gweep.net wrote:

> manufacturer assigned macs are guaranteed to be globally unique.

Theoretically.  I didn't experience it personally, but I believe there
was at least one fairly well known event a few years back where a
manufacturer shipped cards with duplicated UAAs.

> A specific enterprise reconfiguring the mac is akin to an enterprise
> using RFC1918 space.

Fortunately, this practice rarely occurs these days (token ring / SNA
shops often did this) although I'd be curious if anyone still does it.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, some of the relevant lessons learned from
using LAAs (and their demise) didn't take hold at layer 3.

John