.ORG problems this evening

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Sep 18 18:20:21 UTC 2003

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: bmanning

> 	Sorry no zebra.  Perhaps I should run my TLDs
> 	DNS service on my Juniper Routers.  some expect/cron
> 	work should provide the needed glue...

Bill, I know you know better, so let's try more facts and less
FUD.  Mmmmkay?  Your above paragraph is a red herring that is
analogous to saying "all multihomed services must be run on the
router itself".

Here's the deal:  DNS server runs a BGP/OSPF/whatever speaker.
It says when the service IP address is up and when it's down.
For all your <whatever brand> router cares, it's talking to just
another router.  If the "router" (DNS server) ain't saying "send
me traffic", the router doesn't send it traffic.  Very simple.

You won't find a turnkey RPM to do it, but that doesn't mean it's
impossible.  In fact, if you slow down and read previous posts,
you'll note some very big hints re how to build such a working
system.  If you're limited to installing out-of-the-box packages,
you _will_ have a huge mess... but that's not my problem.

> 	This has impact on the design of anycast solutions.
> 	Ultra has one model, ISC has another, and PCH uses
> 	a third. The more generic content crowd has its favorites.
> 	Then there are the "load-balancing" vendors who
> 	cater to these folks.  One size does not fit all.

Okay, I'll give you credit for that paragraph.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 316 794 8922 Wichita
  blacklist at brics.com -or- alfra at intc.net -or- curbjmp at intc.net