Worst design decisions?

Nathan J. Mehl memory-nanog at blank.org
Thu Sep 18 18:11:32 UTC 2003

In the immortal words of Justin Shore (listuser at numbnuts.net):

> <Applause>
>
> I can think of 6 different console cable pinouts and connectors that
> Enterasys (Cabletron) has used over the years.  No wait, make that 7.  How
> could I forget the inherited Fore ATM architecture and subsequent blades.
> Could people just pick ONE pinout and connector and stick with it?
> Please!  Of course I also have a Cisco 675 that I've been unable to use
> for years simply because I have yet to figure out what ungodly pinout
> Cisco used in it.

<AOL/>

The hands-down winner, so far, is the Cisco
CMS-formerly-known-as-Arrowpoint, which has an RJ45 console cable
which WILL NOT WORK, full stop, with the RJ45 connectors on Cisco's
own console servers.

*wild applause*

In my fevered dreams, someone with actual clout, perhaps the IEEE,
defines a spec for serial login consoles over USB and all vendors
start to use it, but that's never, ever gonna happen.

-n