.ORG problems this evening

Keptin Komrade Dr. BobWrench III esq. bownes at web9.com
Thu Sep 18 17:47:01 UTC 2003

E.B. Dreger wrote:

> TV> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:01:18 -0400 (EDT)
> TV> From: Todd Vierling
>
> TV> BGP doesn't know when a DNS server dies.  Therein lies the
> TV> findamental problem of using anycast as an application
> TV> redundancy scheme.
>
> But it can and should.  Again, seeing if the process is running
> is easy; verifying correct functionality requires more work, but
> definitely is doable.

And, I might add, in the case of a highly complex anycast application,
you will need to check not only for correctness, but for timeliness.
And, again, in the case of a highly complex app such as an anycast DNS,
you need to check several behind the scenes apps, such as maybe a db,
the responsivness of your high avail partner server, the dns daemon,
connectivity through two or more network paths, connectivity to master
update servers, BGP on whatever boxes are providing BGP, etc, the list
goes on.

But again, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. ;-)