IP issues with .com/.net change?

Andy Walden andy at tigerteam.net
Thu Sep 18 16:44:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Alex Kamantauskas wrote:

>  Not really operational content, but I was wondering if there was an
>  intellectual property issue with the Verisign .com/.net redirect?
>
>  For instance, <http://searchthewebwithgoogle.com/> brings you to a
>  Verisign search engine.
>
>  Or, even better, <http://getyourdomainnameatregister.com/> will bring you
>  to a Verisign website.

This is the best point of attack I believe. A quick review of the WIPO
domain decision archive: http://listbox.wipo.int/domain-updates shows that
domains registered in bad faith, for example wwwcdw.com, are usually ruled
against. If the individual domain holders take issue with their own
domains, both through WIPO, and what I feel will ultimately need to happen
for this madness to stop, the courts, then Verisign can be stopped.
Millions of domains registed in bad faith.

http://wwwford.net/
http://worldnetatt.net
http://wwwlightreading.net
http://wwwcnn.net