Worst design decisions?

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu Sep 18 13:18:01 UTC 2003

At 08:57 AM 9/18/2003, David Lesher wrote:

>Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
> >

> > Hello all,
> >
> > Was doing some upgrades on a UBR7246 (to a VXR), and I got to thinking
> > about short sighted design considerations.  I was curious if any of you
> > had some pet peeves from a design perspective to rant about.  I'll start
> > with a couple.
>

>1) The slide lock on transceiver cables.
>
>2) Intel's+IBM's "640K" wall.
>
>3) IDE addressing standards. (We've been through the 528 MB,
>2.1 GB, 4.2 GB, 8.4 GB caps.... what's next?)

Are you asking? :) It would by my count be the 137.4GB limit of LBA28 which
was already corrected with LBA48 if your motherboard supports it. Maybe you
haven't had to use an IDE drive that large yet. ;)

There may have been another limitation in there on IDE that I'm missing in
some form... As a sidenote, MS (in trying to phase out FAT32 in favor of
NTFS) started limiting the creation of FAT32 drives allowing a maximum of
only 32GB in Windows 2000, but that doesn't really bother me. :)

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.