.ORG problems this evening

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Thu Sep 18 12:19:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

: they have two distinct servers by IP, globally they have N x clusters. i'm sure
: each instance is actualyl more than a single linux PeeCee

Doesn't matter if it's a cluster at each location.  The fact remains that
there were only two IP addresses visible to my named, and both were
unresponsive to my machine.  As far as my machine was concerned, .ORG was
down for the count, no matter how many servers, that were "invisible" to me,
were still working.

: so even if what i see as tld1 now goes into failure.. for the minute or two it
: takes to go offline and reconverge on antoerh tld1 i still see tld2

The routes I saw never went offline, as far as I could tell -- and from my
location tld1 and tld2 have the *same* route and end up at the same physical
connectivity location.  So much for redundancy.

: maybe its firewalled? I see !H too but my .org is working fine for dns resolving

Yes, it is firewalled.  I was pointing out that the route is the same for
tld1 and tld2 for me, all the way up to the firewall.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv at duh.org> <tv at pobox.com>