.ORG problems this evening

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Thu Sep 18 11:38:38 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Jared Mauch wrote:

: 	ultradns uses the power of anycast to have these ips that appear
: to be on close subnets in geographyically diverse locations.

Oh, that's brilliant.  How nice of them to defeat the concept of redundancy
by limiting me to only two of their servers for a gTLD.

VeriSign might be doing some loathsome things lately, but at least my named
has several more servers than just two to choose from.

: 	could you provide some more technical details, other than
: your postulations that they have two machines on
: network-wise close subnets and that is the problem?

I tracerouted to both IPs from two different locations in the USA; both took
the same route before hitting !H from an ultradns.com rDNS machine.  And
both servers for that route were completely unresponsive from both tried
locations during the outage period.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv at duh.org> <tv at pobox.com>