Verisign suggestion

David B Harris david at eelf.ddts.net
Thu Sep 18 04:36:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
Gerald <gcoon at inch.com> wrote:
<snip>

> ...and for heavens sake, stop accepting any kind of request at all on port
> 25!! Just shut it down altogether. There is no reason for you to accept
> any connection of any kind on port 25!

I shall only respond to this portion. The rest of it ... well, I'll just
leave it at that :)

If they don't accept anything on port 25, either by sending all packets
to /dev/null or by responding with SYN+RST ("Connection refused"), MTAs
everywhere will consider this a "temporary error." In other words, the
mail will sit on queues for weeks, typically, until an error is finally
sent to the sender. Currently an error is sent to the sender
immediately.