Worst design decisions?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Sep 18 01:29:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:43:24 CDT, Matt <acheron at qwest.net>  said:

> I've got a couple others in my head from 3Com and a couple of others,
> but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.  So, what do you think?

Well.. maybe it's just still fresh in my memory and the aggravation factor
is higher because of that, but...

The screw for PCI slot 4 on a Mac G5 is partly blocked by another part of the
chassis, so your screwdriver ends up on an angle. As a result, you have about a
4% chance of stripping the screw when it tries to go in and gets
cross-threaded. (OK, a minor point, but when you're installing PCI cards in
1,100 of the beasts, 4% ends up as quite a bunch....)

It's even more annoying when contrasted against the overall excellent design
of the box....