Worst design decisions?

Matt acheron at qwest.net
Wed Sep 17 22:43:24 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Was doing some upgrades on a UBR7246 (to a VXR), and I got to thinking
about short sighted design considerations.  I was curious if any of you
had some pet peeves from a design perspective to rant about.  I'll start
with a couple.

1) Why did Cisco design the I/O controller on the 7246 with screws in
the corner, which are very difficult to get at?  And worse than that,
why did they not include a cheap handle on the blank in this slot?

2) Why did Cisco not include side handles on the 12000 chassis?  It's a
heavy chassis, and I can imagine how many techs have thrown out their
back moving that chassis around.

I've got a couple others in my head from 3Com and a couple of others,
but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.  So, what do you think?