Change to .com/.net behavior

Kandra Nygårds kandra at foxette.net
Wed Sep 17 18:06:51 UTC 2003

From: "David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com>

> Returning NXDOMAIN when a domain does not exist is a basic requirement.
> Failure to do so creates security problems. It is reasonable to require
your
> customers to fix known breakage that creates security problems.

I agree completely. However, this is a policy breakage, not a technial one.
Strictly speaking, the com and net zones are perfectly valid, as far as DNS
is concerned.

While I too am outraged by the actions of Verisign, I've decided to NOT
modify my servers in any way.
I might decide to block the sitefinder IP, but I will not change my
nameservers into modifying DNS responses. Doing so would be to break things,
and that is not an acceptable fix even if the other thing is in itself
broken. Of course, YMMV.

- Kandra