Verisign insanity - Distributed non-attack

Rob Pickering rob at pickering.org
Tue Sep 16 16:03:57 UTC 2003

--On 16 September 2003 16:18 +0100 Richard Cox <Richard at mandarin.com>
wrote:
> While I completely share your concern about Verisign's behaviour, I
> have a higher level concern about anything seeking to disrupt
> services on the 'net.

Obviously the idea of nanog discussing anything which contributes to
a denial of service is ridiculous.

What I find even more ridiculous is that ICANN, which (for now) is
supposed to be managing this farce simply stands idly by hands in
it's pockets fiddling with its board. It's not as if this is a
surprise hijack by Verisign, they've been telling the world they were
going to do this for a while.

In the meantime, everyone is left scrambling around at a technical
level putting in /32 routes and DNS hacks to try and defeat it.

Up to today I've always thought that all the various alt roots were
the way to insanity. For the very first time I think what passes for
reality in the ICANN world may have become surreal enough that it
really can't be any worse than this.

--
    Rob.