Verisign insanity - Distributed non-attack

Richard Cox Richard at mandarin.com
Tue Sep 16 15:18:19 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:02:59 +0200 "RoDent" <rodent at mighty.co.za> wrote:

| Effectively this would amount to  "denial of service" attack, but since
| there is nothing illegal about making an http request to an invalid
| hostname, Verisign will be bringing the denial of service attack upon
| themselves, and unfortunately dragging ISP's with them.  Why ISP's
| haven't publically taken a stance against this yet is fascinating.

While I completely share your concern about Verisign's behaviour, I have
a higher level concern about anything seeking to disrupt services on the
'net.  For some weeks now, several of the abuse-prevention organisations
have been subjected to Distributed Denial-of-Service attacks; the attack
on SORBS is still continuing, and very few of the networks carrying this
DDoS traffic have lifted a finger to either limit or trace the attacking
traffic.  Which, I have to say, is *most* disappointing.

--
Richard Cox