change to the COM and NET TLD

Karsten W. Rohrbach karsten at rohrbach.de
Tue Sep 16 10:18:20 UTC 2003

Neil J. McRae(neil at DOMINO.ORG)@2003.09.16 08:40:54 +0000:
> I do not wish to be bound to your terms and I do not agree
> with them. Please take this as notice of such.

The best thing is that they appear to filter search results on some
basis. And they set cookies (long-term) to "store the preferences".

``Filtering attempts to block content containing explicit and adult
material. While no filter is 100% effective, Site Finder uses
industry-leading technology to identify explicit content and reduce
undesired results.''

The best thing would be simply to switch it off.

While folks got used to the strange MSIE error messages, they have the
same "learning curve" now again, but they also need to understand the
privacy implications.

``Third Party Search Results and Cookies
We use third-party companies to serve paid and unpaid search results and
other content to our Site Finder. In the course of serving these
results, these companies may place or recognize a cookie on your
browser, and may use information (not including your name, address,
e-mail address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other
web sites in order to serve content to our site, improve the services
offered on our site, or measure advertising effectiveness of paid search
results. For more information about this practice and to know your
choices about not having your information used by these companies,
please visit
http://www.content.overture.com/d/Usm/about/company/privacypolicy.jhtml.''

This is really ugly.

IANAL, but is this fair and common business behaviour?
As I am located in "Old Europe", I say "it's not" and it might have one
or the other legal implication in Germany.

Regards,
/k

--
> Examining the world's major religions.  I'm looking for something that's
> light on morals, has lots of holidays, and with a short initiation period.
webmonster.de -- InterNetWorkTogether -- built on the open source platform
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6