Cisco introduced 'warm' reload...

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun Sep 14 03:11:52 UTC 2003

Rodney,

> Rodney Dunn wrote:
> Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll have it removed
> from the CLI for any platforms where it's not supported.

Actually, there's nothing to remove. The

> cisco7507#reload ?
>   LINE    Reason for reload

Is perfectly legitimate.

> The currently supported platforms are:
> 3660 and 3745 in 12.3(2)T
> 7200 in 12.2(18)S
> I'll also check on future platform implementations and
> let you know.  While at first the feature seems platform
> independent it turns out there are some platform
> dependencies.

If I may, it would be a hell of a good idea to make it work on platforms
such as the 7500 where one would think it is un-necessary. On paper,
having a feature set with rpr/rpr+ would render this command
un-necessary on a 7500 with dual RSPs. In practice, there are so many
compatibility issues with rpr/rpr+ and other features that some 7500s
that have dual RSPs run a non-rpr image and the second RSP is sitting in
the router as a spare.

Michel.