92 Byte ICMP Blocking Problem

Richard J.Sears rsears at adnc.com
Fri Sep 12 18:49:08 UTC 2003

So, the choice is to go from dCEF to CEF or to not block the 92 byte
packets at all....anyone have an idea as to which is the better route to
take..?

 - Richard

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:59:54 -0700
"Matt Ploessel" <matt.ploessel at foundstone.com> wrote:

> >See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sn-20030820-nachi.shtml
> >>
> >>The policy-routing solutions works great in small routers (26xx, 17xx)
>
> >>and in 7200s. In 7500s it seems OK *UNLESS* dCEF is enabled, then it
> >>does what you saw. I'm assuming it's dropping 92-byte TCP packets as
> >>well as the ICMP echoes. You can see 1-packet flows of mail getting
> >>dropped.
> >>
> >>Notice that the workaround cannot be used on GSRs because it causes
> >>packets to be punted to the CPU... this is as bad a news as that it
> >>doesn't work right on dCEF because we use GSRs or 7500s with dCEF
> >>where the network is really busy.
>
> - Matt Ploessel

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."