zebra server redundancy

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Sep 5 17:33:59 UTC 2003

This isn't qiute a nanog subject, but...

> In testing so far, this seems to work great.  My only question is how
> are people withdrawing the routes?
> ospfd does not yet re-read its config on a HUP.
Using vtysh (or telnet to port 2604)

> removing the alias from the loopback interface seems slow to converge,
> as zebra does not seem to be notified in real time of such events, but
> seems to have a periodic timer that looks at interface status. (Adding
> it back to the loopback has also had some issue, if the host route is
> already in the routing table from other hosts.)
Depends on your OS. zebra will get realtime notification on Linux with
netlink, and on *bsd with "routing socket".

> Looks like an expect script telneting to the ospfd and removing the
> network statement from the router ospf section is the best way, or is
> there some more elegant mechanism people use? Thanks
Vtysh is somewhat simpler than telnetting.

Alex Pilosov    | DSL, Colocation, Hosting Services
President 	| alex at pilosoft.com    (800) 710-7031
Pilosoft, Inc.  | http://www.pilosoft.com