More universities take action to block unpatched/infected computers

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Sep 5 03:09:03 UTC 2003

Back to school season continues in North America, and more universities
are taking stronger actions concerning unpatched and infected computers.
At least two universities are now charging students $25-$30 everytime
their computers are infected and need to be cleaned before being allowed
back on the school network.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25845-2003Sep4.html

>More than 6,000 students that had yet to apply the needed patches did so,
>but hundreds of other students ignored the advice and were promptly
>booted from the university network, said Gerry Sneeringer, an IT
>security officer at Maryland's Office of Information Technology.
>
>"There were a certain percentage of students that wouldn't listen to us
>unless we hit them upside the head with a lockout," he said. "You simply
>can't deal with these problems until you've got your network under
>control."

Universities have one big advantage; they are a campus and can distribute
CDROMs with the fix or have students come to the computer center.