ethernet-based temperature sensors

Neil Ronketti neil.ronketti at uk.mci.com
Thu Sep 4 16:16:06 UTC 2003

> From: Bill Owens [mailto:owens at nysernet.org]
>
> I suppose if one had enough time and interest, and some Java skills,
> you could make something out of these:
>
> http://www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/thermochron.html
> http://www.ibutton.com/TINI/applications/sertoeth/

</lurk>

If you don't want to use the little iButton holder jobbie, you can use just
the DS1820 range of sensors from Dallas Semiconductor. I bodged up something
using one of these and a DS9097U RS-232 adaptor:
http://www.neil.nu/temp.html

I realise this is probably only of peripheral interest, as the original post
requested a unit with SNMP capability, and the DS1820 doesn't provide
anything as sophisticated. It was, however, completely free of charge as I
got the bits as samples from Farnell in the UK. The software to drive the
units is freely available, and it should be pretty trivial to get it to mail
a pager or whatever if the temperature goes outside of limits.

First post - please be gentle.

--
Neil Ronketti                  MCI, Internet House,
IP Design Engineer, CNE        332 Science Park, Cambridge CB4 0BZ