What were we saying about edge filtering?

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Thu Sep 4 06:37:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> More whining and bitching from me ... sorry...
>
> So who thinks allowing anyone to route to or from IANA Reserved blocks
> (Bogons) is acceptable?

Technically these packets are 'routed' correctly, they are perhaps not
filtered, but thats another story entirely.

> A few captured packets....
>
> 15:42:41.434384 1.6.145.24.1116 > 203.101.254.254.53: S
-- snip --

> Is there any need to route bogons?  Is there any reason why it cannot be
> filtered (I appreciate 224-239 is a different story)....?

At the edge, very near the originating host there is no reason not to
filter these, if you find the sources you might consider asking them why
they didn't filter these for you...

> These packets were all originated on the other side of the Pacific to
> Telecom NZ.

and they travelled well apparently.