Automatic shutdown of infected network connections

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Sep 3 18:40:46 UTC 2003

At 02:21 PM 03/09/2003 -0400, Omachonu Ogali wrote:
>Eek. :(
>
>Hate to rehash the responsibility debate...but shouldn't the
>manufacturers/whatever slap the latest service packs on their
>products that they're selling?

That would add cost.  You either eat that cost or pass it on to the
consumer.  As price is the number one criteria for the mass market I am
sure vendors are shy about raising prices and equally shy about eating into
meager profits

>If GM puts out a recall on their vehicles for a GE lamp.

You know its not that simple.... Changing a light bulb does not have the
same potentially unforeseen and unintended consequences of installing 56MB
of new code.  It WILL break some things.

Vendor A laptop price = $x
Vendor B laptop price = $x+ $20

A-Laptop == B-Laptop

Given the choice between the two where one has all the service packs
installed and the other for $20 less does not.... Sad to say most will take
the one for $20 less as the other is "ripping me off!"  Most consumers dont
have a hope in hell sometimes of understanding value in the tech world and
instead fixate totally on price.

         ---Mike