IPv6 vs IPv4 (Re: Sprint NOC? Are you awake now?)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Tue Sep 2 20:48:28 UTC 2003

(btw, for those of you who think that IPv6 isn't in use, you may now
safely ignore this thread).

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 04:34:18PM -0400, Nenad Pudar wrote:
> My enviroment is far to be broken my friend.
> This is not question about me or my environoment this question about
> your site ,I can always mange to get such a sites if I want but I am not
> sure that some other people are even awre what the problem is.
> I think that still majority of ipv6 connections is through 6 bone and
> there you do have a latency and
> evrybody using the same dns for ipv4 and ipv6 should re-think it over

	i would say that I serve a moderate number of web pages
a day off my web server.  (warning, big!)  here are some
statistics: http://puck.nether.net/stats.html

	this is the first complaint i've received of accessing
puck via ipv6 (aside from when i was running a buggy kernel that would
cause it to stop responding to the v6 address periodically).

	here's some stats for my sendmail as well:

puck:~> grep sm-mta /var/log/maillog | wc -l
  30350
puck:~> grep IPv6 /var/log/maillog  | wc -l
    405
puck:~> grep IPv6 /var/log/maillog.Mon | wc -l
    324
puck:~> grep IPv6 /var/log/maillog.Fri | wc -l
    324
puck:~> grep IPv6 /var/log/maillog.Thu | wc -l
    865

	This means i'm getting a small number of emails sent via IPv6
without troubles.  Might I suggest the problem is on your end.  Do
you have all the latest solaris patches installed?

	Either that, or ifconfig down your ipv6 interface or remove
the autoconf from your machine as necessary until you have a chance
to test it.  In the mean time, you can visit the webpage here:
http://204.42.254.5/netops/  I try to always use / referencing
urls, so it should work just fine for you.  If you notice a url
that does not just reference /, please let me know.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net