bgp as-path info

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Sep 2 18:16:48 UTC 2003

If you look closely, they are probably not just stripping your AS. They
are probably aggregating your network. One provider that I am aware of
that does this is AT&T. Since your advertisements out the other network
will be more specific, traffic will only come through them. If the
networks are the same size, then traffic will most likely come through
your first provider due to AS path counts.

Usually, you have to request that your more specific routes be allowed
out due to multi-homing. In the case of AT&T, they have a community that
you must send with the route to have it sent beyond their local network.
It's really just a matter of default preference on the part of your
provider. Some default to advertise more specific while others default
to advertising their aggregates. The latter is used most commonly when a
provider does a lot of BGP peering that is not multi-homed. It's not a
bad policy when it comes to looking at the BGP tables.

-Jack