more on filtering

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 31 17:11:25 UTC 2003

I'm well aware that law!=logic.  In fact, I have often said that there
are two sayings which when recombined provide a more accurate picture
of the true situation in the american legal system:

	1.	Possession is no excuse.
	2.	Ignorance is 9/10th of the low.

(Fee free to run that past your attorney as well)

I was stating that although legally, I can't do anything to X's customer
directly, I certainly can, for example, block all traffic from Y at
my ingress points if X won't get Y to correct their behavior.  As such,
while the agreement is not legally transitive, the authority it gives
me allows me to effectively deal with Y indirectly.  Obviously, it also
provides an incentive for X to deal with Y directly, but, while I can't
effect legal remedy against Y, the contract does allow me to effect
network remedy against Y by dropping Y where X connects to me.

Owen

--
If it wasn't signed, it probably didn't come from me.