Yankee Group declares core routing obsolete (was Re: Anybody using GBICs?)

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Thu Oct 30 19:12:57 UTC 2003

Routers exists everywhere; Catalist 6509, for example, IS A ROUTER not less
than A SWITCH. Perfectly, it is
a router with extensive switching capabilities.

Problem is that (1) most devices today support both L3 routuing and L2
switching (which is MAC level routing de facto), and (2) some devices
implement routing, using L2 mechanisms (mlp routing on 6509). But., from
network point of view, they do not stop to be a routers.

You can - insert switch into traditional router, insert router card into
traditional switch; in any case, you have _router_ and _switch_ (sometimes,
in the same box).

So, obsolete are not routers (esp. low end); obsolete is classification.

Alexei Roudnev