IPv6 NAT

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Oct 30 15:22:56 UTC 2003

>NAT also has the advantage that if packets do leak
>bogon filters at the border will drop them.

NAT is simply an algorithm which causes a firewall to
drop all traffic which doesn't match an entry in a
set of internal state tables. The NAT algorithm sets
up these state tables based on outgoing traffic and
based on specific operator configurations, i.e. static
NAT mappings.

This algorithm can be implemented in a trivial piece
of software that runs on cheap, low-power devices
commonly used in things like DSL routers.

The IPv6 folks are claiming that you can very easily
implement the same type of algorithm on IPv6 routers to
drop all traffic which doesn't match an entry in a
set of internal state tables. The IPv6 algorithm would set
up these state tables based on outgoing traffic and
based on specific operator configurations, i.e. static
enabled addresses.

The only difference is that the IPv6 device never changes
the packet contents, i.e. never replaces source or
destination addresses in the headers. The IPv6 version can
still drop traffic and can still dynamically enable certain
incoming traffic based upon detection of an outgoing TCP
session starting up. It could even do port redirection if
that was still useful to people. It could also allow operator
configuration to enable incoming traffic to specific addresses.
The IPv6 version would be just as secure as an IPv4 NAT device
but it would not interfere with protocol functioning.

Now, I'm not claiming that every device capable of IPv4 NAT is currently
able
to function in this way, but there are no technical barriers to prevent
manufacturers
from making IPv6 devices that function in this way. The IPv6 vendor
marketing
folks can even invent terms like NAT (Network Authority Technology) to
describe
this simple IPv6 firewall function, i.e. IPv6 NAT.

It wouldn't be the first time that acronyms have been reinvented, e.g.
RED, GSM.
--Michael Dillon