AOL fixing Microsoft default settings

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Thu Oct 30 14:20:56 UTC 2003

I¹m not sure ³outrage² is the appropriate way to describe this. AOL is
probably looking at this from the support point of view.

They get a certain number of support calls complaining about messenger
service spam/trickery. The will get many fewer calls complaining that the
messenger service has been shut off. The end result is that they save
themselves a good bit of money, while helping out a large percentage of
their customer base who has the bad luck of being saddled with an inferior
OS ­ good for them! It would be a mistake to confuse AOL¹s subscriber base
with NANOG¹s subscriber base. That which would outrage some of us is seen as
a great boon to other sets of users. There is no ³one size fits all² here.

When one connects to an online service (which AOL is, rather than being just
an ISP, although they do that too) or when one connects to a corporate LAN
with a VPN client, they have to accept that there may be some alterations of
the local environment. This is a reality of today¹s security situation as it
intersects with inferior desktop OS¹s. There are always other solutions for
those who feel that these sort of alterations are unpalatable.

--
Daniel Golding
Network and Telecommunications Strategies