[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Oct 30 10:34:24 UTC 2003

JB> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:27:27 -0600
JB> From: Jack Bates

JB> I think the point that was being made was that NAT allows the
JB> filtering of the box to be more idiot proof. Firewall rules
JB> tend to be complex, which is why mistakes *do* get made and
JB> systems still get compromised.  NAT interfaces and setups
JB> tend to be more simplistic, and the IP addresses of the
JB> device won't route publicly through the firewall or any
JB> unknown alternate routes.

NAT "security" is a byproduct of NAT's stateful filtering.  One
can accomplish the same effect with

	check-state
	allow ip any any recv internal0 keep-state
	deny ip any any

Such a default fw config would be equally idiot-proof with no IP
obfuscation.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 316 794 8922 Wichita
  blacklist at brics.com -or- alfra at intc.net -or- curbjmp at intc.net