[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Oct 29 21:34:24 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Alex Yuriev wrote:
> As the network operators, we move bits and that is what we should stick to
> moving.
>
> We do not look into packets and see "oh look, this to me looks like an evil
> application traffic", and we should not do that. It should not be the goal
> of IS to enforce the policy for the traffic that passes through it. That
> type of enforcement should be left to ES.

Well, that is nice thery, but I'd like to see how you react to 2Gb DoS
attack and if you really intend to put filters at the edge or would not
prefer to do it at the entrance to your network. Slammer virus is just
like DoS, that is why many are filtering it at the highiest possible
level as well as at all points where traffic comes in from the customers.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net