[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Wed Oct 29 19:31:43 UTC 2003

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.44.0310291228200.29539-100000 at login1.fas.harvard.edu>,
Scott McGrath  <mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>And sometimes you use NAT because you really do not want the NAT'ed device
>to be globally addressible but it needs to have a link to the outside to
>download updates.  Instrument controllers et.al.

I don't understand. What is the difference between a /24 internal
NATted network, and a /64 internal IPv6 network that is firewalled
off: only paclets to the outside allowed, and packets destined for
the inside need to have a traffic flow associated with it.

As I see it, NAT is just a stateful firewall of sorts. A broken one,
so why not use a non-broken solution ?

We can only hope that IPv6 capable CPE devices have that sort
of stateful firewalling turned on by default. Or start educating
the vendors of these el-cheopo CPE devices so that they will
all have that kind of firewalling enabled before IPv6 becomes
mainstream.

Mike.