The Evolution of the U.S. Peering Ecosystem

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Wed Oct 29 18:34:45 UTC 2003

Hi all -

I've been working on documenting some of the significant disruption from
and aftermath of the Telecom collapse of 1999/2000, focusing specifically
on the operations community and the Peering Ecosystem in particular. I
spent a lot of time speaking with Peering Coordinators to document the
first order effects and some of the second order effects of the
bankruptcies. I found some pretty interesting and fundamental changes in
how the Internet is interconnected. Several new players have had a huge
impact on what I call the "Internet Regional Peering Ecosystem." I
presented a draft of this research at the GPF VII in Ashburn, Virginia last
month and would love to have a few more reviewers give it a read and
provide feedback.

I pasted the abstract below. Thanks!

Bill
Abstract

A new Internet Peering Ecosystem is rising from the Ashes of the 1999/2000
U.S. Telecommunications Sector crash. Global Internet Transit Providers
have gone bust and a critical broadband infrastructure provider has failed,
leaving in their wake a large set of Internet players to fend for
themselves to provide their customers with Internet services. A broad set
of Service Providers that were once focused only on growing their market
share (at any cost) now are bending down to shave pennies off of their cost
structure. Those who can not prove the viability of their business model
while satisfying their customer demands are out of business.

In this paper we share research carried out over the last four years with
hundreds of Peering Coordinators to document the recent chaotic evolution
of the Peering Ecosystem. We do this by first defining the notion of an
Internet Peering Ecosystem, an Internet Region and Interconnection Region.
We find in each Internet Peering Ecosystem three distinct categories set of
participants, each with their own sets of characteristics and corresponding
motivations and interconnection dynamics. We describe four classes of
Peering Inclinations as articulated in Peering Policies.

The bulk of the paper however focuses on the Evolution of the U.S. Peering
Ecosystem. Several key players, some abandoned by their service providers,
have entered into the Peering Ecosystem and caused a significant disruption
to the Ecosystem. Peer-to-Peer application traffic has grown to represent a
significant portion of their expense. We describe five major events and
three emerging dynamics in the Peering Ecosystem that have had and continue
to have a disintermediation effect on the Tier 1 ISPs.

In the appendix we share a simple mathematical Internet Peering Model that
can be used to demonstrate this Peering Ecosystem evolution. While not
complete or by any means precise, it does allow us to demonstrate the
affect of these disruptions in the Peering Ecosystem.

/*
   William B. Norton <wbn at equinix.com>                   650.315.8635
   Co-Founder and Chief Technical Liaison                        Equinix, Inc.
*/