[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Oct 29 15:17:14 UTC 2003

Dave Howe wrote:

> Indeed so yes - however... A large and increasing segment of my users are
> VPN laptop users with ADSL at home. our accounts department looks a
> certain amount of askance at IT when they get a large phone bill in
> expenses for someone using a 33.6 modem right next to a nice shiny half
> meg ADSL connection that IPSec won't traverse....

IPSec can traverse NAT. Often times, it's the implementation of IPSec
that doesn't traverse NAT. Software vendors apparently didn't think it
necessary to allow for address translation. Tis sad, really.

I have customers that can VPN through NAT and customers that require
public addressing. The one's that really make me laugh seem to require a
static IP address.

Of course, the customer is always right.

-Jack