Anybody using GBICs?

fkittred at gwi.net fkittred at gwi.net
Wed Oct 29 12:42:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:36:26 -0800  lance_tatman at agilent.com wrote:
> To be more clear, I'm specifically referring to Gigabit Ethernet Converters and
>  not
> SFPs for POS or SONET.  So, to reprhase, where in your network topology, are yo
> using Gigabit Ethernet, specifically GE interfaces using GBICS?
>
> Are you using GE primarily for customer connections, server connections, peerin
> g points
> etc. ?

Lance;

	Having been on both sides of the fence, I know that it is hard
for router development engineers, especially at legacy vendors, to know
what is really going on in the market.  But for ISPs operators, the
audience of this group, your question comes across as a "duh" moment.

	Everyone I know is using GBICs on 95% of new purchases.  We are
a regional provider in a relatively rural rural region (Maine and New
Hampshire).  Even in this rural market 95% our purchases next year will
be GBICs running GE.  However, most of those GBICs will have some
involvement with Wave Division Multiplexing to get multi-GE rates.  10GE
is just not needed right now by us, but I suspect people in more
populated regions are using it.

        POS, Sonet and ATM are dead except for small players and some
legacy providers.  I am sure this is still significant niche.

        Hope this helps.

regards,
fletcher