AOL fixing Microsoft default settings

Henry Linneweh hrlinneweh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 28 22:59:12 UTC 2003

I agree that changing one's computer is not the ISP or even the Corp IT departments
job, and could compromise valuable work and or personal information for the individual
user, depending on their setup, security software etc and other applications.

I also would preceive that as a real threat to individual privacy for any individual in
any country of the world who directly purchased and owns their own computer.

For individuals who had their machines custom built to spec with software configured
to meet a certain criterion this would be an outrage and considered hacking and
tampering.

-Henry

Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Fred Baker wrote:
> Personally, I don't ask my ISP or my IT department to randomly change the
> configuration of my computer. I am very happy for them to suggest changes,
> but *if* I agree, *I* want to install them when it is convenient for *me*,
> not when it is convenient for *them*.

There is a difference. In most cases the corporate laptop is owned by the
corporation, not the employee. Shouldn't the corporate organization be
able to change its own computers whenever it chooses, regardless of the
desire of its employees.

On the other hand, the ISP does not own the customer's computer. And
despite EULA which say it not sold only licensed to the customer, most
people view their computer as their property not the ISP's.