[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Oct 28 06:42:37 UTC 2003

> > We need either applications that are working a lot better at
> > ipv6 or we may yet have to see ipv4 space ran out before it
> > becomes clear to everybody that ipv6 is a must.
>
> Besides, IPv4 will never run out; as pointed out to me recently, it will
> simply become more expensive as it becomes rarer, and large and/or
> wealthy corporation in developed countries will likely always be able to
> afford it. Note, I'm not saying this is good, all I'm saying is that's
> just the way it is.

Even if it becomes more expensive and nearly runs out, providers to those
who can't afford the space directly can always gateway IPV4<>IPV6 until
every major provider starts providing new allocations out of IPV6 space
since its less expensive to operate that way.

It might be two years or ten, or it might be a new ip model entirely, but
history has told us that once we outgrow something, we route-around it
(note: NSFNET).

Deepak Jain
AiNET