[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue Oct 28 04:21:20 UTC 2003

>> Does anybody honestly think companies will commit the capex
>> needed to implement IPv6?

> William Leibzon wrote:
> Not without additional benefits.

I agree, and they're all gone now. To my deepest regrets, IPv6 has
become nothing more than IPv4 with more bits (it's actually worse than
IPv4 as of today).

> We need either applications that are working a lot better at
> ipv6 or we may yet have to see ipv4 space ran out before it
> becomes clear to everybody that ipv6 is a must.

Besides, IPv4 will never run out; as pointed out to me recently, it will
simply become more expensive as it becomes rarer, and large and/or
wealthy corporation in developed countries will likely always be able to
afford it. Note, I'm not saying this is good, all I'm saying is that's
just the way it is.

Michel.