[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

Cliff Albert cliff-nanog at oisec.net
Mon Oct 27 22:40:14 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 04:10:26PM -0500, Andy Dills wrote:

> Technologies like NAT and efforts to reclaim poorly assigned address space
> have a large negative pressure on the increase of IP utilization. As more
> and more "appliances" need IP addresses, people will realize more and more
> that the last thing they want is those "applicances" on public IP space.
>
> Does anybody have statistics for assigned-but-not-announced space? I'd be
> willing to bet there will be more and more dead space over the years, and
> in fact quite a bit of "increasing usage" is just churn.

http://www.potaroo.net/ispcolumn/2003-07-v4-address-lifetime/ale.html

This is actually a pretty good write-up about the IPv4 address lifetime
by Geoff Huston. It has some graphs that compares BGP to actually
assigned space comparisons. Makes very good reading about all this.

--
Cliff Albert		| RIPE:	     CA3348-RIPE | https://oisec.net/
cliff at oisec.net		| 6BONE:     CA2-6BONE	 |