[arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Mon Oct 27 21:10:26 UTC 2003

I love this.

ARIN publicly states, "Whatchoo talkin about, Willis?" (see announcement
below)

So, by extrapolation, if we've collectively used 20 /8s over the past 5
years, and we have 90 left, that's over 20 years of IPv4 growth we have
left.

Some would ask, "What about increasing address usage?"

I would ask, "What evidence do you have that usage is increasing?"

Technologies like NAT and efforts to reclaim poorly assigned address space
have a large negative pressure on the increase of IP utilization. As more
and more "appliances" need IP addresses, people will realize more and more
that the last thing they want is those "applicances" on public IP space.

Does anybody have statistics for assigned-but-not-announced space? I'd be
willing to bet there will be more and more dead space over the years, and
in fact quite a bit of "increasing usage" is just churn.

What does any of this matter? I think there is a huge financial incentive
for NSPs to ignore IPv6 until the situation arrives where they are at a
competitive disadvantage to NOT deploy it. I also don't think that time
will ever come, as I expect new technology to trump IPv6 by the time it's
actually needed (some would argue that NAT has already accomplished this).
How about a protocol that eliminated the need for BGP, while
simultaneously making every address portable? That, to me, would be The
Answer. Not that it seems possible given what we currently know, but 20
years is a long time :) Try to think backwards 20 years, and you see how
impossible it is to conceive of the next 20 years. (Yes, I realize that
statement neuters the basis of my argument. But I'm not really stating the
future demand for IPs as fact, just assumptions to be debated.)

Does anybody honestly think companies will commit the capex needed to
implement IPv6?

I know this thread keeps on coming up...but I don't see any positive
momentum for IPv6, and if the people of this Esteemed Forum can't agree
that IPv6 is something that must happen ASAP, how will the PHBs (those who
control the money) and the customers (those who control demand) ever be
convinced?

Hell, I can't even convince myself that IPv6 is neccessary. Is anybody out
there totally sold on IPv6, enough to evangelize it to anybody willing to
listen? I mean, IPv6 is no CIDR...

Andy

---
Andy Dills