AOL fixing Microsoft default settings

Brian Wallingford brian at meganet.net
Fri Oct 24 05:36:17 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Terry Baranski wrote:

:The "without notice" part is perhaps somewhat unsettling.  I can
:appreciate that attempting to explain this type of change to the AOL
:user base would be challenging, but I'd submit that third-party software
:making OS changes like this without the user's knowledge could be "thin
:ice" territory.  Where is the line drawn once this path is chosen?

Seems this would be suitable for inclusion in the license agreement to
which most check "I agree" without reading.

If it hasn't been, it could certainly fall into the "thin ice" category,
given the multitude of legal eaglets willing to push for
class-actions.  In any event, this begs a policy discussion more than an
operational one.